Recap of our Folly Vacation

Before I get to our Folly trip, I just want to thank everyone who has reached out regarding the flooding in Columbia. I can't tell you how much your prayers and support means in this time, we are certainly in desperate need for them. The sun is out today and recovery is beginning. We have such a long way to go, and dams are continuing to breach, people are still without water, and the death toll continues to rise. The community has been nothing short of outstanding and the volunteer work that is going on right is so wonderful to see. See my last post on ways you can donate!

Also, if you've been around this space for any length of time, you know that I don't keep the same layout for too long. So, here we go with my latest one :) I hope you like it as much as I do!


I think it's fairly clear that the weather wasn't quite what we were hoping for, but sometimes you just have to roll with the punches. Also, I didn't take a ton of photos on our trip, likely due to the fact that I stayed in sweats sans makeup the whole time, haha!

Let's start with our trip down Thursday evening. We had the car packed and were on the road by 5:30. We swung through Bojangles to grab a quick dinner for the road and had to battle to keep Murphy in the backseat while we ate. He was literally hovering over our food the whole time. Needless to say, we scarfed it down quickly, ha! The ride wasn't bad. It started to mist and get a little hard to see when we got close to Charleston, but overall, not a terrible drive. We couldn't ever get Murphy to lay in his bed and get comfortable, but he did sit down a few times. But he stood for most of the two hour trip. He did get kind of funny towards the end of the drive. You could tell he was just ready to be out of the car, and I think he could sense Josh's anxiety from the rain. That little fellas eyes were as big as saucers. 

So, we stayed on the third floor of the condo, which I was happy about. However, our furry family member was not as thrilled. The steps were soaked from all the rain Folly had been getting and Murphy had no interest in going up them. Literally laid down, you couldn't even pull him up the steps. Josh picked him up and carried him the last half of the way up the steps, then as they got to the top and he went to put Murphy down...Murph kicked off of Josh, sending Josh collapsing onto the top steps. Can you tell we had a rough time getting into the condo? It was raining pretty good as Josh brought all of the stuff in, but we finally got settled, got Murphy to use the bathroom and hunkered down for the night. Murphy walked around the condo for at least an hour crying. That is a strange dog, let me tell you. Literally just walking around crying, crying, crying. I've mentioned before how vocal he is, haha! We put a big towel over the bed and let him sleep with us and holy cow was he bad the first night. He sat up in the bed practically all night staring at us and you guessed it, crying. ALL NIGHT I TELL YOU. So, we were smart and brought Benadryl with us and Josh gave him a "magic hot dog" before bed the rest of the nights we were there. Worked like a charm, he slept all night ;) Murphy really is like having a child. 

Friday we were pretty lucky with the weather. It was cool and overcast, but didn't rain until late that night. We took Murphy on the beach for long walks several times, and ventured down Center Street where all of the restaurants and shops are. Murphy must have wanted a souvenir, because he tried to go in every store we passed ;) He was hilarious on the beach. Loved the sand and the puddles of water, but had no interest in the ocean. Like, would hop backwards like a bunny ten feet in the air every time we'd try to get him close to the water and it would come to his paws. I think the loud noise of the crashing waves stressed him out a bit. I don't think he's going to be one of those dogs chasing a tennis ball into the ocean anytime soon. However, he loved rolling around in the sand and getting as dirty as possible before having to go back inside. There was a lot of coat and paw wiping that took place before he went back in the condo. Josh picked up dinner from the highly raved about Taco Boy, it was delicious, as expected. 

Saturday we got rain on and off most the day. The wind picked up on Saturday as well. We ventured out a few times, got pelted with rain and knocked over by wind. But my heavens did Murph LOVE IT. He went barreling down the beach running like he was on Baywatch every time we took him out on Saturday. The whole beach was basically standing water because of the rain and flood, so we took off our shoes and shivered through the puddles. We watched quite a bit of football on Saturday. So disappointing to see our Gamecocks lose..again. Josh ventured out to get us dinner Saturday night and a ton of places were closed, as the weather was getting worse, he luckily stumbled on a pizza joint that was open. Saturday night the weather got crazy and the wind was so bad, it would blow the door of the condo open if we didn't have the dead bolt locked! Rain also started to come in under the door so we had to put towels down to soak it all up. We played a lot of Phase 10 and watched more football Saturday night. 

Sunday morning we got up and tried to figure out if we needed to stay another night, go ahead and come home, what roads were closed trying to get home, etc. There was a lot of facebooking, googling, news watching and phone calls home going on. We did make it out safely and Murphy was good on the ride back. Again fairly stressed because his eyes turned to saucers again, but once we got home he went to bed and basically slept all the way until Monday night, I kid you not! 

Josh and I both agreed we'd like to take this trip again next year and stay in the same condo, all while praying for good weather! The condo was spacious, decorated nicely, perfect location and so clean. We used Folly's Best Rentals and stayed in Beautiful Sunrise, I can't say enough good things about the condo!

This trip was to celebrate our second anniversary, and honestly I think we were a little distracted with Murphy and the weather to super focus on our anniversary that was a few weeks ago, BUT we did end up taking our actual anniversary off from work. We got our photos taken that morning in Greenville, then we went apple picking at Sky Top Orchard in North Carolina. It was a Monday so it wasn't busy at all! We came home with a ton of delicious apples (Josh loves apples!) and we tried an apple doughnut and their apple cider while we were there. Both were absolutely delicious! Once we got back to Columbia that afternoon, we rested up for our dinner at The Oak Table. We had such a good time and great conversation over our delicious meal. It was a perfect anniversary day! 


  1. Aww I'm sorry the weather wasn't great for your trip! We love Folly and Taco Boy :) Murphy is hysterical and that's awesome that the condo let you bring him!

  2. I hate that y'all had bad weather! I kept seeing your snapchats of all the rain and being stuck inside. Hopefully next year y'all will have better weather!! I've never been to Folly Beach but it looks absolutely gorgeous in some pictures I have found. LOVE the new layout! It looks great. I just had my blog redesigned so I know how exciting it is getting it updated!


Your sweet comments make my day!