First Married Christmas...Memorable...In a No Good Very Bad Way

I hope y'all had the best Christmas and spent wonderful, blessed time with family and friends! Josh and I had a great first married Christmas and got way too many presents from our families...those guys must love us a lot! I'll do a good recap of Christmas a little later but today I have quite the story for you, it goes a little something like this...

We did a bit of traveling on Christmas day and weren't able to get home in time to feed Murphy on his normal schedule so my mom and dad went over and fed him for us. Well, mom left a bag of fudge on the bar and when we walked in the door last night around 10:15 the bag was laying on the floor...EMPTY.

Y'ALL, I almost had a heart attack. Obviously, chocolate is like poison for dogs. Murphy came flying in the back door when we got home and was as happy as could be but his stomach was HUGE. So clearly, after I saw him and his belly, I almost lost it AGAIN. Josh and I were both looking at each other like "this is not real life, we're going to wake up from a bad dream." We were SO tired when we got home...we started our day at 7:15 and had been running from house to house and town to town all day long. All we wanted to do was take a shower, cuddle with our pup and jump in bed...because we both have to work today.

Murphy was acting fine when we got home, just happy to see us as usual. He was so excited about all his toys he got yesterday, he was running around the house playing with all of them. Despite him not acting sick, we knew we had to do SOMETHING to get the chocolate out of his system. So Josh starts googling, I'm holding Murph and sweet talking him, and this is all just about to go straight to cray town. Josh finds out that we're probably teetering on the line of moderate to severe sickness with him so we decide to try and make him throw up. We need hydrogen peroxide to do that...even though we swore we did, we didn't have any. We live within 2 seconds of like ten drug stores...all closed. So Josh ventures out to find something open, finds the sketchiest gas station in town and was able to get a bottle.

All the while I'm home with the buddy SOBBING over him. Y'all, I was one big hot mess. I was just crying and praying over him and telling him how much I loved him...over and over and over again. He still seemed fine but drank a TON of water at one point...which is a bad sign once a dog has had chocolate. Josh gets home and we wrangle Murph into the backyard to try and pour the peroxide down his throat...that is an adventure to say the least. Were in our backyard basically looking like crazy people I'm sure, I'm in this ridiculous outfit that consist of half of my Christmas outfit and a scarf and jacket that just DO not match, dog fur is all over me, my hair is a HOT mess, Josh had on this jacket from like 10th grade, and we both look (and feel) like we've been hit by a bus...and backed over a few times. We put him on his harness and leash to try and keep him somewhat still and I got his mouth pried open but Josh got about half of the peroxide on me and about 1/4 in his mouth. So we try and again and just a drop gets in his mouth and then again one more time but didn't get much in his mouth again. We waited about 15 minutes to see if he would throw up but we didn't have any luck. So Josh calls the emergency vet, they say bring him in so off we go. We're looking at about 11:30 at this point.

It's 11:45 when we pull into the vet, Murphy refuses to go in (I don't blame him though, doctors aren't the most fun places in the world) so I have to carry him in while Josh is filling out paperwork and then they whisked him off to the back.

We're called into this little waiting room and I am just stressing to the max by now. I told Josh "if this is what feeling like an adult is like, I'm not digging it" HA! All the way there  I am imagining what this vet bill is going to be and I know it's not going to be pretty...in the least. I guess this is a good time to mention that we just had to put new brakes, wheal bearings and tires on my car last Thursday...yippy skippy.

We give them all of the details that we knew and wait about 5 minutes and a nurse comes in and said they induced vomiting and he threw up chocolate and large amounts of food...then she asked him if we gave him pasta...what in the world!??! No he hasn't had pasta, where is this coming from?!? Turns out it was a bone...how that got mixed up to be pasta...I have no idea. Josh and I were just about delirious while we were waiting in that room.

So we wait a good hour and the doctor comes in and gives us all the details on Murph...his heart rate was 240! 240!!!!!!!!!!! She said his normal heart rate should be between 80 and 100....you can imagine how big my eyes were at this point and how fast MY heart was racing! She then says "has anyone ever told you he has a heart murmur?" UM NO. So, there's that too. Then it gets better she says "He is going to have to stay in ICU tonight and we will need to have him for 24 hours...and we're looking at a bill of around $1,000 to $1,200."

I don't have the words you guys...I just don't have the words. I knew it was going to be expensive, I did...but...wow. My heart sunk...and not just because of the money, more so because I knew our little buddy was going to be so afraid staying the night somewhere unusual and the vet told us that he was most likely going to be OK...but she was a little more worried than usual. She then asked us if he wanted to see him before we left to give him some smooches and I said you bet bring him now please!!!!!!! I told myself not to cry when I saw him...and I must say I held it together pretty good. He came in the room and just looked exhausted but was SO happy to see us...his tail was waging SO hard and he had me by the arm and didn't want to let go. I practically pushed Josh out of the way so I could hold my little man (sorry babe!) I told him how much we loved him and that they were going to take very good care of him and then he had to go back to be monitored. GoodNESS was I holding back the tears. So we go to the front desk...drop a DEPOSIT of $1,000 and were out the door.

We finally got in bed around 1:30 and when we walked in our room Murphy's two new toys were laying on our bed...cue the tears again. We crashed when we got in bed and our 7:00 alarm went off way too soon. The vet called his morning and said he heart rate was back down to 130 and that he was making progress and doing well. We'll be expecting another call this afternoon to see when we can get him. And I PRAY it is before the full 24 hours or else it's going to be another late night for us.

So that is how we ended Christmas...not where we wanted to be, but I'm so glad that we were able to get him there and they could give him the care hee needed. Josh and I love that dog so much y'all. So the next few months will consist of saving money to replenish our savings account...all for the love of that little dog that has stolen our hearts. Oh, and I'm not sure I'm going to let mom be on Murphy duty anymore ;)

And has also stolen a Pandora charm from under the tree in the last week...we asked the vet if he threw that up...just our luck, he didn't.

So if you could say a little prayer for our sweet Murphy (and Josh and I) today...I sure would appreciate it.

Back soon with happier Christmas stories :) At least we have a memorable story for our first married Christmas...right?!

1 comment:

  1. Poor thing!! Glad you were able to get him to the vet in time!! Hope he is able to go home today and get lots of snuggles!


Your sweet comments make my day!